Caffeinated Sugar Monkey

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Things I Hate

Oooooh...the dreaded caffeine reduction crankiness is beginning to rear its ugly little head. I, who normally possess a fine and sunny disposition (Pollyana was actually my favorite movie when I was a little sugar monkey), am grumpy today. Actually, I woke up a little grumpy. I may be transitioning into surly now. Everything is annoying me today. Here, in no particular order, is an abbreviated list of my grievances:

1. My office smells a bit like foot today. Hot, middle of the summer, not wearing socks with my shoes foot. Here is my issue: I just got here. I haven't removed my shoes. So, whose foot am I smelling? And why won't they put their shoes back on?

2. I got stuck behind a funeral procession while driving this morning. I am actually annoyed at the stranger who died for making my morning drive longer.

3. Working out: Now, I haven't worked out yet today, so this is really more of a theoretical grievance. I hate that I need to do it, even when I don't want to. I hate that some people never work out and are always skinnier than me. I hate that, even though I have a great workout partner (Hi Kelly!) who likes to dissect pop culture with me while we work out, I still dread the gym. I hate, mostly, that I used to be athletic and I'm not anymore.

4. People who eat candy in front of me. Like my boss, who had a king sized Snickers and a Snapple for lunch today. I had salad. It was, by any measure, a good salad. Some mixed greens, some chicken, black beans, onions, tomatoes and some spicy dressing. Even though I like my salad, it made me bitter not to have a big old Snickers. I *know* that my lunch is healthier and healthier is good but healthier rarely involves noughet. I want noughet.

5. Arizona weather. I am done with summer. I want to wear fall clothes. I want the air to feel crispy and cool. I want to curl up on the couch under a blanket and read. Is it too much to ask for temperatures under 94 degrees in October?

6. My pants. Not the specific pants I am wearing right now, but all the other pants in my closet that don't fit me right now. I know a logical person would realize that it isn't the pants fault, but I am not in the mood to traffic in logic right now. I blame them and I want them to stop making my thighs look like sausages every time I try them on.

7. The student who just sat in my office and picked a scab off of his knee while talking to me. Ew.

8. The whole "8 to 5" work concept. I want to go home and I want go home now...not that I'm writing this at work. I'd never do that. I'm not that kind of employee (pssst...wanna know a secret? I totally am that kind of employee).

Okay. This too shall pass. Right?

2 Comments:

  • wow. I hate all of those things too. Except the office smelling like foot. I mean, I'd probably hate that (pretty sure, really) but my office didn't smell like foot today. Good luck with your new deal. I feel the same way as you about sugar, by the way. And, from my experience, it IS easier to deal without sugar if you go cold turkey, but the minute you have one teeny, tiny, practically calorie-free milky way mini, it's like all the days/weeks/months before never happened. So unfair.

    By Blogger Noames, at 4:04 PM  

  • and me, i found my sweet tooth changes as ai got older -- now i imbibe my sugar. i am less on the refined sugar, and more on the alcoholic kind. so you see? it is a conspiracy -- sugar is not only evil, it is consciously so, and can morph itelf into new and terrible forms to attack you when you least expect it.

    By Blogger Chris, at 8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home