Caffeinated Sugar Monkey

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Running with my husband

Alternate titles: Running behind my husband
Getting lapped by my husband
My husband: a view from behind

The mister and I went running tonight and it just sucked. I hate running sometimes, I really do, but it feels like the best marker to me of physical health so I keep doing it.

A little athletic background for you: I used to be a swimmer. I swam in high school and was pretty good at it. I once placed 12th in the state for the 100 butterfly. I didn't have much in the way of natural talent but I worked my ass off to be a decent swimmer. I swam at in the morning at 5am. I did weight trainging during the day. I swam for 2-3 hours every afternoon. I was, though I didn't know it at the time, in really, really good shape. Then I went to college. I joined the swim team but eventually a combination of shoulder injuries and kidney stones forced me to drop out. I quickly gained the freshman 15 and then the sophmore 10, the junior 14 and the senior 25. I graduated from college weighing at least 50 pounds more than I did when I graduated high school. Needless to say, I was thrilled with this development.

In college I would go on diets and I would, off and on, try to get back in shape through exercise but I was never able to get myself back to a schedule like what I maintained in high school (I realize, of course, that I could do way less than that and be in much better shape than I am now). As an adult, the exercise that I keep coming back to is running even though it feels so difficult to me most of the time. I feel heavy and slow and awkward when I run. The longer it has been since I last ran, the worse it is. Tonight was pretty lousy.

My husband, on the other hand, looks like he is part gazelle when he runs. We both haven't been running in a while but he was able to do 3 times as much as I was. Bastard. I used to be able to run 5 miles at a time and I even ran a 10K once (I finished 9th from the bottom. Elderly people beat me, but at least I finished). Tonight I couldn't even run a mile. Grr.

I miss feeling like I am athletic. I miss feeling comfortable in my skin when I move. I hate running right now, but I think I could love it again some day. I just need to keep running until that happens.

**********************************************************************************

In a follow up from the last posting, the Autumn Mix was returned to me and it has been decided that having my husband be the sugar police isn't that best plan in terms of me trying to change my relationship with the sweets. Michael will now just be in charge of being supportive--something he is quite skilled at.

2 Comments:

  • One step at a time.

    I come in last fairly often...but sometimes there are so few runners in the races I do that I STILL win age/group awards.

    I think the Galloway Walk/run method has kept me from giving up when it's been hard to continue. And being in local running clubs helps me a lot.

    And now, I've run FIVE marathons. SLOWLY? YES! But happily!

    Don't give up...and remember it takes about 20 minutes before the endorphins kick in!

    By Blogger *jeanne*, at 4:21 PM  

  • hey -- talk to my bro if you need a partner in newness to running pain. he's doing great, improving all the time -- just by keeping at it, like you said.

    run to be outside, to feel self-righteous, to watch michael's butt as he laps you... (-; run b/c you CAN -- you're young and alive on a gorgeous planet in an amazing universe. so it sucks -- whatevah. it'll suck less tomorrow. and even less the day after.

    YOU ROCK. find your way to love yourself, little sister -- that's the only goal that matters. and no, it's not at all selfish or silly. it's glorious.

    By Blogger Chris, at 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home