Caffeinated Sugar Monkey

Monday, October 17, 2005

Rain, rain, don't go away...

CNN.com keeps promising me rain. The darkening clouds outside my office window are making promises of their own. I'm starting to think that if I can breathe deeply enough, I'll be able to take in that clean, damp earth smell.

I am desperate for the weather to change. I yearn for real fall weather. I want to wear jeans and long sleeve t-shirts (or, oh the dream of it, a sweatshirt) on the weekend. I want to sip peppermint hot chocolate on a rainy Saturday afternoon. I want weather that demands cozy behavior: curling up on the couch with an afghan and a good book, lighting candles, making yeast bread and hearty soups, sipping warm beverages...I long for these things but I can't generate real enthusiasm for them until the temperature is out of the 80's on a regular basis.

I love living in Arizona, most of the time, but there comes a point every year where the unrelenting good weather gets on my nerves. I went to college in Grand Rapids, Michigan where I basically bitched and moaned for four years about the dreadfully cold weather. I wasn't especially fond of winter so I told anyone who would listen how superior Arizona weather was, but I have to admit that Michigan does autumn quite well. I don't miss much about Michigan, but I do missing falling leaves, seeing my breath on my way to morning classes and the way that the environment seems to relax a little and encourages you to do the same. Fall is the quiet season.

Spring and summer are all about rebirth and growth. Spring and summer are busy seasons- plants growing and blooming, the sun always shining, the days so long- but fall is about rest. The world seems to settle into self a little, getting ready for the sleep that is winter. The days grower shorter and colder, encouraging quiet, indoor activities. You can't possibly expect to get as much done in the fall as you can in the summer. I like a season with lowered expectations.

This summer was, for several reasons, especially busy and productive. I planned a wedding, got married to the love of my life, moved out of the world's crappiest studio apartment, finished up my last grad school classes...good changes, but big changes. Now, I want rain and cold and dark skies and early sunsets and the chance to quietly settle into my new life.

1 Comments:

  • "I want weather that demands cozy behavior: curling up on the couch with an afghan and a good book, lighting candles, making yeast bread and hearty soups, sipping warm beverages..."

    YESYESYES. me, too.

    fall is my restful time -- it is a time to ruminate, to let the flurry of summer die away, to be replaced by dark, sweet, calm. it's a dying season, but not in a bad wya for me -- it is jsut a turn in my wheel, promsing me a slower existence, time to replenish the energy wells.

    By Blogger Chris, at 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home