Caffeinated Sugar Monkey

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

He lives! My advisor lives!

And, occasionally, he responds to increasingly desperate emails.

My advisor finally emailed me yesterday with some very good news. The thesis is in good enough shape that I can contact the other professors on my committee and can schedule my defense for sometime in January. Yay! I continue to be annoyed that this process has spilled over into another semester, forcing me to sign up and pay for another unit of thesis credit and delaying my official graduation until May 2006 (grrr) but at least I can begin to get ready for the defense.

I had to laugh a bitter little laugh when I picked up my draft from his office and there was a sticky note on top that said "Received 10/26, return quickly so she can give to committee". Yeah, that worked out pretty well for me.

So, anyone know what I can expect when I do the defense? Do I just have to be ready to answer questions? Do I have to do a fancy presentation? How long do they usually last? These are questions I know I need to ask my advisor, and I will, but I'd like to hear from multiple sources that it is all going to turn out okay.

1 Comments:

  • it will be WAY ok. it's usually just a nice little chat on your ideas -- be ready to defend them and your methods, and to discuss the "future implications" of your research and how it changed your ENTIRE LIFE and can change the WHOLE WORLD for the better, if only someone would notice it.

    the last bit can consist of complete and utter lies. just so you know. it's practically expected.

    i had to do a mini-presentation for my first master's -- none for my second. lots of questions each time, but nothing scary.

    keep me updated on your defense date, so your boy and i can plan the big IMDONEIMDONEIMDONE party.

    By Blogger Chris, at 7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home