Caffeinated Sugar Monkey

Monday, November 21, 2005

Thankful

So, Thanksgiving is a mere two days away and I am *so* looking forward to it. I really love Thanksgiving, perhaps even more than Christmas. Thanksgiving is the easier of the two holidays. No presents to buy, just pie and stuffing (yay stuffing!) to eat and elastic waistband pants to wear. Thanksgiving, in addition to being a festival of carbs and fat and sugar, is also a nice antidote to the normal snarkiness and sarcasm of daily life. Don't get me wrong--I love me some snarkiness, but I also know that a little reflection about what is really good and safe in my life is a nice counterpoint to the pessimism I sometimes feel. Thus, in no particular order, here are some of the things that I most thankful for this year:

1. My job: yes, I'm bored a lot and yes, I'm applying else where but I am grateful to have co-workers who make me laugh and a steady, dependable paycheck. Also, I get to watch my stories everyday at lunch and I am not ashamed of my love for All My children.

2. The children who belong to my friends: Michael and I have not totally settled the kids issue yet (when to have them? if we should have them, etc) but sometimes I just really want to hold a baby or hear a toddler laugh their little belly laughs, so I am grateful for Joshua, Jacob, Mckenna, Annika, Iain and their nice parents who let me sniff their heads and hold their hands.

3. My friend Kelly who goes to the gym with me. I am struggling with the whole "exercise" concept right now, but I know for sure that having some to discuss reality tv shows with me while I plug away at it makes a world of difference. Kelly is a good friend for lots of reasons (funny, smart, great taste in shoes) and I'm glad to see her a couple of times a week, even if we have to be sweaty during it.

4. Stuffing. Seriously. I can not wait. I want a whole plateful.

5. Our friends Jamie and Chris who will be hosting us for Thanksgiving and will be making the stuffing that I am so eagerly anticipating. Also, they are hosting at their house so I don't even have to clean mine or cook. Score.

6. My health and general sense of well being. I think that this past year has been one of the happiest years of my life and I am grateful for that. I have not been as healthy as I could be (said the caffeinated sugar monkey who is eye balling some candy as she types) but I'm glad that I am basically in good health and still young enough to correct the bad habits I have.

7. My friends. I believe that I have more friends at this point in my life than I ever had before which is such a blessing. I still sometimes think of myself as this nerdy, odd, got along better with grown ups, lonely little kid and so having a circle of people who like me and care about me is so nice. I try not to feel surprised by it, but I still am. My family is, on its best day, complicated, so having friends who are as sane and funny and smart and caring as they are is really important.

8. Michael. I am a very, very lucky girl. Meeting, falling in love and marrying Michael has been one of the sweetest experiences of my life and something I suspect I will always feel grateful for.

Okay--this has been sappy I know. I promise I'll be back to sarcastic next time around. Happy Thanksgiving everyone (all three people who read this)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home