Caffeinated Sugar Monkey

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Time

So, I blinked and suddenly it was the end of October. How did that happen?

When I was a younger monkey I would get bored so easily (especially during the endless summer vacations) and I would complain that the days were too long and everything took so long to happen. My mother, annoyed, would warn me that time would speed up when I wasn't looking. I am so annoyed to report that she, in the one particular instance, was right.

As I get older the speed of time seems to have shifted. When I was in high school, time was measured in hours (one more hour until lunch, one more hour until Spanish is over, one more hour of swim practice) but now days blur into weeks and weeks slide into months and months fly into years. I'm a bit worried that the next time I post to my blog I'll being doing it from some sort of retirement community for active seniors. I will, most likely, just be squeezing in the time to blog in between my Sit and Be Fit classes and watching my stories on television.

While I can still type, before the old age induced arthritis sets in, allow me to update you on the happenings of the last week:

1. I completed the first stage of my seasonal worker indoctrination. Through the power of video (5 hours worth!) I learned that "customer service is a journey", "customer service is a process", "customer service starts with a smile", "customer services is all about attitude" and "without you, customer service doesn't exist". I did not, in the course of my training, learn how to work the cash register, how to stock the shelves, where the bathroom is, how to do a price check, or how to do gift wrapping. Apparently customer service doesn't involve having any discernible skills or the training necessary to actually, you know, help the customer buy the lotion they can't live without. I do know, however, that I should smile when I tell them that I can't make change, ring them up, get something from backstock or wrap their gift box for them.

2. The second draft of the thesis (New and Improved! Now with 15% more lit review than before!) has been turned into the advisor who seems pretty certain that this draft should be good enough to forward on to the rest of the committee. I am cautiously optimistic that I may finish this damn thing yet.

3. I am sooooooooo off my plan to reduce my caffeine and sugar consumption. I am a junkie man. I joke about this, but I actually am pretty disappointed with myself. I've been doing okay (not great, just okay) about getting some exercise in and not weighing myself (the scale is still hidden until Saturday) but that is it. I have a million excuses but I know that I just need to be honest with myself and do some thinking about why I chose not to take a better path in terms of treating myself and my health better. I know that stress and being busy bring out the worst in me, in terms of the sugar addiction, and I know that stress (finishing school, working the second job) and busyness (the holidays, possibly starting a job search) are coming and I don't want to continue to self medicate with sugar until things calm down (who knows when and if that will ever happen?)

4. I said goodbye to a dear friend this week (safe travels Judith! We miss you already!) and that sucked and was sad. I am a big, silly goofball most of the time, but I really am seriously, fiercely attached to the people in my life and I was brought to tears several times this week thinking about the people I love and preparing to say goodbye to Judith. Sniffle.

5. Michael and I will mark three months of marriage this weekend. Yep, we're pros now. I think that I shall now, with all the wisdom accrued during these 90 days of wedded bliss, start giving out marital advice whenever I can, whether I'm asked or not. People will be so grateful.

Seriously, though, I am really enjoying married life and I think all the other stuff in my life would feel a lot more stressful without Michael around. It is nice to have an ally, a sounding board, a partner in crime and someone to dance to the Law and Order theme song with (really. We have a whole dance. I'm thinking of adding jazz hands to the end.)

6. I think I want to run a 10K again. Maybe this spring. I want to make Michael run one as well. Anyone else wanna come? I think a 10K gang (we'd have colors-pink, perhaps?- and a sign and everything) would be fun.

*************************************************************************************
I just ran spell check on this entry and it insisted that the replacement for "goofball" was "cowbell". For some reason that cracks me up.

2 Comments:

  • 3 months already? holy cowbell. (heh) checks the calendar -- yup, i guess so.

    time disappears on me, too. my mom was right about that, just like yours. curses on those old women and their rightnesses.

    very keen on the thesis progress -- that's something to be mighty proud of, and happy with. let us know when we can start planning the "imdoneimdoneimdone" party.

    i know how the whole changing addictive behaviors thing feels. it's amazing how we can be so smart, and know, really know, what we need to do, and have brilliant reasons for it -- all very logical and all that... and still not do it. it's not about girding our intellectual loins, i have come to believe -- it's something else. like you said, it involves one of those really hard conversations with the mirror, trying to figure out where the behavior patterns came from, what we get from continuing our behavior, and what would make it really worth it for to us to change.

    and of course, we live in a culture where, in matters of weight and diet, there is this hyper-emphasis on self-denial as divine, which just adds guilt to the entire process -- and we know where that leads: right back to the candy corn.

    *sigh*

    so i hear ya', sister -- i really do.

    By Blogger Chris, at 5:30 PM  

  • i'm thinking about taking up sit and be fit soon, so it doesn't sneak up on me unexpectedly when i'm old.

    By Blogger C, at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home