Caffeinated Sugar Monkey

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Limbo

So, I'm currently waiting for two fairly significant phone calls/emails and the longer I wait the less gracious I become.

The first thing I'm waiting on is some, any, a little contact from my thesis advisor. I gave him a rough draft of my thesis at the end of September. He took about a week and a half to read it and then returned it to me with only minor corrections and additions to make. He said that it was in "excellent shape" and that he was confident that I would only need to make one more edit to him. Grateful, and feeling optimistic about a December graduation, I took it home and worked and worked and worked on it, ultimately adding about 15 pages to it. I gave him the new and improved version around the end of October. And then the waiting began. I have not seen or heard from him since. I've emailed. I've attempted to stalk (the office door is always closed. His appointment book is always full) but nothing. I am 99% sure that this delay means that I won't meet the deadline for December graduation and there is nothing I can do about it.

The second thing that I'm waiting on is a call from the Human Resources department at the local community college. I'm a finalist there for a position that really interests me and, yay, would pay more than my current gig. I know I have a good shot, but I'm beginning to suspect that I'll be eligible for retirement at my current job before I hear from them. I submitted my resume in July. I've been an applicant for this job longer than I've been married.

I think the thing that really bugs me is that I can't do a damn thing to improve my chances for a good outcome or to make the decision come any faster. I've already written the thesis. I've already done my 3 (!) interviews. This whole patience thing is getting on my nerves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home