Caffeinated Sugar Monkey

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Monkey sadness

I was watching TV tonight, reveling in the mind numbing powers of a good soapy drama (yep, it is Grey's Anatomy night) when I saw a heart breaking commercial.

The commercial opened promisingly enough: a shot of a monkey in a pink dress picking its nose. Hee. Nothing funnier than that. The monkey continued to put its finger in its nose and then smile at the camera. I continued to laugh and delight, as I always do during monkey commercials. Then, it happened.

The screen went to white and the tag line said "Monkeys are hard to work with...and we're not going to do it anymore." The commercial was for careerbuilder.com, the genius folks who have had an on-going series of monkey centric ads. These ads, as one might expect, are my favorite. Yes, I know having a favorite ad is a shallow, bad, consumerist, blah, blah, blah thing...but c'mon...monkeys...in suits...dancing...my heart is not made of stone, people.

So it looks like they are dropping the monkeys and I must protest. What is funnier than monkeys? Goldfish-no, panda bears- cute but no, turtles-slow and no. Nothing is funnier than monkeys. Why would they want to stop being funny?

I don't understand the world sometimes.

1 Comments:

  • Ugh, sometimes I hate new blogger. It just lost my comment.

    Anyway, this is a tragedy. The Careerbuilder monkey spots are some of my favorites. I even have them saved on youtube. The laser pointers? Upside down graph? Pure genius.

    Some of my other favorite ad series are: the Geico Cavemen, Slim Jim Snapalopes, Miller Lite Man Laws, and the Sonic commercial where the guy orders a "w-rap."

    By Blogger Jo, at 7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home