Caffeinated Sugar Monkey

Monday, August 06, 2007

Team Snickers Salad?

So, as you loyal blog readers (all 6 of you that put up with my casual posting schedule) know, I did the swimming part of a triathlon this summer and loved it. I enjoyed feeling all sporty, I like the competition, I want to do more. My dream is to some day do a triathlon all by myself, but my actuality is that I’m not quite ready for that yet. Not to fear though, because I think I’ve found myself another team triathlon to do.

A few weeks ago I went rock climbing (indoor of course, as I am not a crazy person) with my good buddies Kelly and Karna and, drunk with the success of our rocking climbing prowess, we formed an all girl team for a triathlon in October. I’ll swim, of course, Karna will bike and Kelly will run like she is going to star in a remake of Chariots of Fire. It should be fun, but there is a small hitch. Before we can enter, we have to name our team.

Naming the team should be easy, though a look at the roster of teams for the last triathlon reveals both a horrible number of boring names (“Team Smith Family”, “Team Blue”) and a large number of teams making puns out of the “tri” part of triathlon: “Moms who Tri”, “We Tri Harder”, “Teachers who Tri”, etc. Yuck.

So, what to do? Go for something obvious like “KKW”? Something descriptive like “Team Tall and Dutch” (Kelly supplies the tall, Karna and I bring the Dutch)? Share the monkey moniker and become “Team Monkey”?

Or…. We could name ourselves after the single best “salad” in the history of salads and become “Team Snickers Salad”.

Yep. Such a thing actually exists. Kelly recently spotted one in real life while Karna and I both grew up with it. We both also grew up in churches that had regular potluck suppers and very, very loose definitions of what constitutes a salad. Basically, a salad is anything made with vegetables, fruit, Jell-O, whip cream or some combination of the above. Adding a large quantity of candy bars does not, as one might expect, turn it into a dessert. I love it. I feel that not enough people realize that you can eat 6 Snicker bars and still be living on a mostly salad diet. Perhaps a triathlon is the best place to spread the message?

I definitely feel that my chances of winning a triathlon someday would be greatly improved if more athletes made Snickers salad a diet staple.

1 Comments:

  • I even went running today to train! Go Team Salad!

    By Blogger kel, at 4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home