Caffeinated Sugar Monkey

Thursday, June 07, 2007

I'm a Master

Yep.

A couple of months ago I swallowed my pride, stuffed myself into a bright purple Speedo (I look a bit more like Barney than I would like to) and joined a master's swim team. Masters is for anyone over the age of 18 and is usually joined by people who are, frankly, past their competative prime.

It is an interesting group. There are former college swimmers (these people are still very, very fast), fitness swimmers, triathletes and people like me who used to swim a lot and who love the sport but need to get back in shape. One of the funny things about masters swimming is that you often can't tell by looking at someone how fast they are going to be. At my last practice I was in a lane with a woman who looked like she was incredibly fit and muscular and a 45 year old guy with a rather amazing beer belly and almost no discernible muscle tone. The guy? Kicked our asses. Turns out he used to be a national level swimmer back in the days before the paunch. The woman? A super fit triathlete who hates the swimming part. I can't think of too many other sports were that would happen.

I'm liking being back in the water so far. I started in the slowest lane and have moved over one, so I guess I'm making some progress. I have to decide today if I want to sign up for my first swim meet...still undecided about that.

1 Comments:

  • oooo! a swim meet! do it! do it! i'll come and hold "i <3 wendy" signs and cheer for you... or maybe that's a disincentive. i don't know.

    By Blogger Chris, at 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home