Caffeinated Sugar Monkey

Monday, July 24, 2006

Leggings: Could I be at risk?

As anyone who has even glanced at a recent issue of US Weekly/People/OK/In Touch/Star magazine can tell you leggings, those black fashion faux pas of my junior high years, are making a serious comeback among the emaciated celebrities crowd. While it is bad enough that certain frail, starving actresses (maybe they need to wear them for warmth?) are wearing what are essentially panty hose with out feet, the problem seems to be spreading. A recent fashion magazine I subscribe to just included leggings in a fashion problems and solutions page…as a solution. Target is starting to sell them. I am growing nervous.

The thing is, I wore leggings. I wore them a lot. I wore them with HUGE sweatshirts and under dresses and even, and this is regrettable, with shorts. I was, in my defense, going through puberty at the time and was quite possibly insane from the changing hormones. Still, I look back at that era as a simpler time. A time when bangs were beautiful and Aqua Net was my friend. It was a time when I longed for the love of only one man (Jordan Knight) and hoped desperately for my boobs to come in right. It may have been a simpler time…but I don’t want to go back. I looked ridiculous in leggings but I harbor a quiet fear that in a matter of months, which regular media exposure, I might succumb to the siren song of the black leggings.

Why the fear, you ask? Two words: capri pants. Capri pants really came into fashion my freshman year of college and I hated them at first. I thought they looked ridiculous and gave the impression that the person wearing them had just, very recently, experienced a growth spurt and no longer fit their pants. But, after about a year of regular exposure to them, I grew to tolerate them and then even to like them. Now? I love them. I probably own more capri pants than regular pants. I can’t get enough of baring my ankles. What if I fall back in love with leggings? From there it is a slippery slope back into stirrup pants and hypercolor clothing. I just can’t bear the thought of it.

So, I demand accountability…if you see me gazing longingly at leggings or remarking that “Mary Kate looks really cute in that picture” please show me my junior high year book. That should snap me out of it pretty quickly.

3 Comments:

  • I so agree! Just draw a firm line in the sand: no legwarmers. No matter how cold it gets, just say NO.

    I'll still be your friend if you wear leggings. I'll think, isn't she smart, no need to shave those legs! I would caution against two of my favorite junior high looks, however:

    The stirrup pant (what were we afraid of- tics? molestors ripping up our pant legs and touching our ankles? a stiff wind that might compromise our extreme modesty?) and the baby doll dress with the lace legings (too short! not flattering! lace and bicycle short do not belong in the same breath!). Avoid those two and you're golden.

    P.S. My dad used to use Aqua Net to kill pack rats. Strangely that never deterred me from spraying it in very close proximity to my eyes, mouth and nose.

    P.P.S. Joe was waaaay cuter than Jordan. And clearly straight unlike the questionable Mr. Knight.

    By Blogger kel, at 1:27 AM  

  • Shudder. I can't go back. Even at the time I think I thought that leggings were suspicious, but of course I wore them. And I can one-up you - I wore them with shorts and suspenders!

    By Blogger Jo, at 9:13 AM  

  • I'd kill for a picture of any of the aforementioned styles because I, of course, never wore them. (wink wink.) And by the way, Jordan is totally straight, did you not see season 3 of the surreal life? He was quite pervy and into the ladies.

    By Blogger Sars, at 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home