Caffeinated Sugar Monkey

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Begging to fail

I'm teaching two classes this semester...one that lasts 16 weeks and one that ended last week after 8 weeks.

The 16 week class is pretty good: bright, engaged, mostly on top of stuff.

The 8 week class? Well, let's just say grading their finals was an exercise in frustration. They bombed. No one got higher than a B and half that class flunked it out right. It was not that difficult an exam but it sure turned into a bloodbath.

So, today I get an email from one of the 12 people who earned a big, shiny F in the class, wondering why he failed. I emailed him back that he failed because he missed 3 out of 8 classes, turned in 1 out 7 homework assignments and got a 20% on the final. He wasn't even close to a D.

His response? "is ther any room to negotiate this thing?"

Um, no. Nope. No. I am not a salesman. I do not negotiate.

Hee. I'm a mean teacher monkey.

2 Comments:

  • I feel your pain. I had so many students in past classes want to negotiate a grade....wish they had put that much effort in to the class and then they wouldn't have to negotiate that final grade of an F! 1 down one more class to go for the semester...yeah you!

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 2:32 PM  

  • ooo, my biggest teacher button, that is. do NOT ask me to negotiate what is a clear-cut mathematical reality. one that you knew about all along, i might add.

    GRR, i say, GRR.

    By Blogger Chris, at 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home